Social Icons

Follow Xoxo Frugal Momma on Facebook Follow Xoxo Frugal Momma on Twitter Follow Xoxo Frugal Momma on Instagram Follow Xoxo Frugal Momma on Google Plus

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Coupons 101 Lesson 3: Organization

Have you bought that Sunday paper yet? If you have, you might be wondering how in the world you'll keep all of those coupons organized. There are a few ways to do it.

Option 1: Cut out all the coupons that you think you will use. You can then divide them into categories (such as Hygiene, Baby, Canned Foods, etc), put the coupons into baseball card page protectors, and store in a binder. The page protectors look like this. The baseball card protectors will allow you to see what coupons you have in each insert.

Option 2 (This is the method that I use): When you purchase your newspapers, take the inserts out of them and write the date that the insert came out on the front cover. For example, this coupon insert on top came from the 9/29 newspaper, so I wrote 9/29 on the front cover of the insert. The reason this is so helpful is that many blogs list the coupon insert date and name when referring to the location for coupon. The blogger may say, "$5 off one Oral B coupon 9/29 P&G." This means that you will find that coupon in the 9/29 P&G.


I simply store all of my inserts in a container with the newest insert on top. I picked up this container for about $3 at Walmart. You could also use a box. It really doesn't have to be anything complex. After about 3 months, I recycle the coupon inserts that are at the bottom of bin (if the coupons are expired).


I also have an expanding check file that I use to store any loose coupons, such as ones that I print from online. I separate my coupons into categories: Personal Care, Baby, Meds, Cleaning, Paper Products, Beverages, Canned, Snacks, Frozen, Refrigerated, Boxed, and Other. Your categories could be totally different!


I have a smaller file that I use to sort my coupons by store. This makes my shopping easier. I can simply cut my coupons from the inserts and place in the tab for the store where I plan to use the coupon.

Option 3: Find something that works for you! The above methods aren't the only ones out there. They are just the one that I'm most familiar with. What may be easy for one person to do isn't necessarily the one true method for everyone.

Couponing is sooo much fun! It will seem a little overwhelming at first because it's a new way of doing things. Being a mom/dad/insert other job titles aren't easy, either, but you get out there and do it everyday. And sometimes with the couponing job, you get paid to save money! How awesome is that?!

Again, if you have ANY questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help make couponing an enjoyable experience for you!

2 comments:

  1. I started out by cutting out all the coupons I thought I would use and organizing them, and it's still my favorite way, but i've been so busy lately that all my inserts have been piling up, unclipped. I'm thinking of starting up your method of just organizing the inserts.
    I do have a question though, with that method, do you ever find that you see something unexpected at the store (on clearance or manager's special) and you don't know if you have a coupon for it? I wouldn't want to have to look through every single insert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! If you get internet on your phone, I would go to the coupon database. I've seen that some blogs have that. You can type in what coupon you're looking for and it tells you where you can find it (ranging from internet printables to inserts). You could leave your accordion file in your car for such cases.

      Another thing: I tend to carry around *hot* coupons (already clipped), in case I see a unexpected store special, in a smaller accordion file. (Things like cereal, canned soup, etc.)

      Delete
 

Blog Archive